Sunday, August 25, 2013

Roasted Corn Salad

Having a grocery store as one of my largest clients is super.  Being in and out of stores filled with delicious foods all day long is not so super.  It's tempted my willpower more than once (I mean, when you have a frozen case filled with a dozen or so varieties of made-on-the-spot gelato, it's like a magnetic pull!) and forced me to leave my wallet in the car to avoid said temptations. Being on the road all day makes packing a lunch challenging.  Not impossible, merely challenging.  And sometimes, my day goes totally wonky and lunch plans fall through, leaving me wondering if I've exhausted my supply of emergency granola bars and did I get lucky enough to have an apple in my work bag.  Those are the days that gelato is even more tempting, I won't lie!  But I'm stronger than the pull of the gelato...and I can resist.  But there was this one time.....

No, I didn't get gelato (come on, you know me by now, don't you!?) but I did investigate a particularly interesting salad.  Roasted corn and edamame...I tossed a scoop of that over some crisp lettuce and tossed a few sunflower seeds on for crunch.  Well, let's just say that if anyone watched me sitting in my car, eating as if it was my last meal, I'm sure they weren't handing me any medals for manners!  This stuff is gooooood!  Barley base, crisp, sweet corn with that roasted flavor, flavors of sesame oil and peppers...oh.  my.  gosh. 

I set out to make my own version of it for a gathering at my friend's house when I realized the flavors of my dish and the entree wouldn't necessarily pair so well.  Sigh.  Plus, I realized that there was a lot of pressure to repeat this amazing salad I've had (and can no longer easily find; I hear they've taken it off the menu.  Really!?).  So, I found this one...and it was a hit!  Totally different than the one I love, but I can learn to love something new.  Right!?

Roasted Corn Salad
3 ears fresh corn, shucked
1 fresh chili to taste (jalapeno, anaheim, poblano or serrano)
1 bell pepper

oil for coating
1 medium cucumber, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
4 oz crumbled Feta
Fresh basil, minced
S/P to taste

Dressing
1 clove of garlic, minced

2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
Zest of one lemon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Dijon
1/2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp paprika
Black pepper to taste

  • Make the dressing and set aside
  • Roast the corn and peppers on the grill (lightly coat with oil, roast until slightly charred)
  • Allow veggies to cool; in a large bowl, cut the corn off the cob, peel the peppers and remove the seeds.  Chop the peppers and add into the corn.
  • In that bowl, add the tomato, cucumber and herbs.
  • Just before serving, toss together with cheese and dressing.

Of course, I had to be different, so I skipped the jalapeno and cucumber and roasted my corn on the stove top instead.  Worked out just fine.  

We served it on the patio with lobster rolls, pasta salad and sangria...oh, and the company of wonderful friends.  The perfect way to close out a summer Saturday night!  Cheers!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment