Thursday, August 8, 2013

Frozen YUM!

Oh how I love to browse Pinterest in my spare time....said, well, not me.  I mean, I do love it, but spare time?  Honey, please!

A few weeks ago, I was waiting patiently (yeah, real patiently) for a customer to arrive for a meeting.  She would arrive 30 minutes late, swearing up and down that we had agreed on this time.  But that's beside the point.

Point is, I decided to idly look around on Pinterest while I waited.  And that's when I saw something that looked too good to be true.  Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream...with only 2 ingredients.  Well, I was sold.

Back to that spare time, thing.  It wasn't until a couple nights ago that I remembered the pin when I saw a sad bunch of bananas on the counter, turning more and more brown by the minute.  "Aha!" I thought to myself.  "I can rescue these puppies."

I peeled them, sliced them and laid them out on a cookie sheet then popped them into the freezer.  Kept them there for a few hours--long enough to make puffy paint, use said paint to create some mighty fine masterpieces and clean that mess and the kid who helped make it.

Next, I threw them in our blender and hit just about every button until I found the right speed---don't ask me what it was, because (a) your blender is probably different than mine and (b) I couldn't tell you if I wanted to---there were extra hands helping and we just kept at it until....

....a beautiful thing started to happen.  Those frozen banana slices started turning into a creamy, frozen, heavenly dessert.  I added about a tablespoon of natural peanut butter (after I took out a good bowlful for my little one who's got a nut allergy) and about a teaspoon of almond milk to help it along. You've gotta be patient (yes, I see the irony here in ME giving that advice!) here, and scrape down the sides of the blender every so often.  But it WILL come together.

I put Abby's now empty bowl into the dishwasher---the kid devoured this in no time flat!!  Then I scooped out the yumminess into a tupperware bowl and back into the freezer...where I managed to forget about it for the rest of the evening (how does THAT happen!?).  Driving home from work the next night, it hit me....I had a super delicious and uber healthy treat waiting for me.  I could hardly wait until after dinner (but I did---lead by example and all that nonsense!) and then, I dug in.

Now, don't be too impressed.  I did not make mine all fancy like this--but it did look an awful lot like this bowl of deliciousness.  I ate it out of the tupperware.  With a spoon---does that class it up any?  Ehhh....you're not judging?  Are you?



Perhaps you'll serve yours from your Grandmother's finest china, or maybe you'll fill a delicious cone with this goodness and top it with sprinkles (thus negating it's healthy qualities somewhat!), but however you do it, I hope you enjoy it and smile, knowing that it's a healthy alternative to ice cream, but you can barely tell the difference (no, really...I'm not just saying that!).  Sorry that this isn't a "real" recipe...but you'll find what works for you.  And I suspect that the next time I make it, it'll be different than the last!  

Cheers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment