Friday, May 23, 2014

Twelve Gifts

Even though I do not deny my age, I still find it somewhat impossible that this past Thursday marked 15 years since I graduated from college.  Fifteen years....I've been out nearly four times longer than I was in.  Can that be for real?  I mean...can it?

Emotions run high for me normally; so add in Abby's PreK graduation on Wednesday and pregnancy hormones, and you can just imagine the hot mess I was for the latter part of the week.  But you know what, the tears that flowed were certainly tears of joy.  And hope, and wishes, and faith and pride and gratitude.  Not a single sad tear in the bunch.  Sure, PreK is ending, but that really only means that something new is beginning.  A whole new chapter of life for Abby--and us!--to conquer.

Throughout Thursday, I spent a lot of time thinking about the four years I spent at Elon and the incredible graduation weekend we enjoyed as the Class of 1999.  There was the class picnic following the Baccalaureate ceremony; a classy yet casual affair that offered delicious southern food and hospitality.  There was the small group of us who walked over to the stage set up for the Commencement ceremonies and danced, talked, laughed, cried and reflected.  Yes, we even sang "Party Like it's 1999" a little too loudly.  Although, on Graduation Eve, what, exactly is "too loudly?"


I also reached for one of my most cherished gifts from Graduation.  A book called The Twelve Gifts of Birth.  It might seem strange to receive a book about birth upon my college graduation, but not only did it connect back to our Baccalaureate speaker, but it was given to me by my dear friend Richard--and it was perfect.  Richard served as the Chaplain of Elon College during my time there and I was his Teaching Assistant for 3 years.  We developed a very special bond; one that I treasure to this day.  In fact, when it came time to marry Mark, it was Richard we asked to perform the ceremony.  This gift, a wonderful compliment from Richard, including a heartfelt inscription for me, has now become a very, very fond wish I wish for Abby...and for Sprout!

I find new meaning each and every time I read its simple, yet powerful, words, and as I read it to my daughter on Thursday evening as I tucked her into bed, I was touched by the knowledge that Sprout was also hearing these words. 
The book takes a mere moment to read, but its lesson lasts far longer. 

The twelve gifts are:  Strength, Beauty, Courage, Compassion, Hope, Joy, Talent, Imagination, Reverence, Wisdom, Love and Faith.  In a word driven by materialism, I cannot think of better gifts to bestow upon someone.  I'd like to think that I was able to develop and apply these gifts not only during my time at Elon, but in every day that's followed since I left.  And now, with great expectations, I share them with my daughter so that she, too, can realize her potential and celebrate her Twelve Gifts of Birth.

The words, a gentle reminder of some of the very best things in the world.  I especially like the passage that accompanies the gift of Reverence.  We're reminded to, "...appreciate the wonder that you are and the miracle of all creation."







No comments:

Post a Comment