Monday, March 10, 2014

This Food SCARED Me...

This is going to sound goofy...hell, maybe my whole blog sounds goofy to you, I don't know.  But this next sentence will likely sound pretty silly:  Some foods intimidate me for no real reason.  See?  I told you.  When you've stopped laughing at me, continue reading.

Some foods intimidate me, but not in a Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs they've-all-come-to-life kind of way.  That would be more than intimidating.  I'm talking the pick-it-up-at-the-store-wonder-what-you'd-ever-do-with-it-swear-you'll-try-it-and-never-do kind of way.  I've prepared zucchini a bunch of different ways.  Bananas?  Yeah, I can make lots of good stuff with those, too.  Mushrooms?  Sure, toss 'em into the cart.  But spaghetti squash?  Yeah...I envisioned BIG messes and kitchen catastrophes with this sucker.


Well, I was wrong (there I go with another silly sentence!!).  I purchased some over the weekend, followed some very simple directions and made this amazingly yummy dish.  This squash shredded so easily with a fork--there was very little effort put forth and next to no mess.  What in the good heavens was I so afraid of?  Nonsense, I tell you...straight up nonsense!

I should tell you that I gave up pasta for Lent again--I think this is 15 years in a row or something ridiculous.  Anyway, I thought I'd give this a whirl to see if it hit the spot the way some linguine or penne would.  Well, I knew I wasn't eating noodles, but I was still one very happy girl.

We made this along side some sauteed shrimp, zukes and onions with a dash of garlic and Parmesan cheese.  It got voted into the "Make Again" pile and will now be in rotation from time to time.  High praise, my friends...high praise indeed! 

Hope you enjoy it as well.  I give to you, Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole!



Ingredients
Olive oil cooking spray
2 1/2 cups (1 lb.) cooked spaghetti squash
1/2 cup sour cream (I used Greek yogurt)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded low fat sharp cheddar cheese


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a 1.5-quart baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.

2. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. 
3.  Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
4.  Bake until browned, 40-45 minutes (it will smell wonderful!).

3. Allow to cool 10 minutes, then carefully cut into squares.

Nutrition per serving
Calories 226.6   Total Fat 16.9 g   Saturated Fat 10.2 g   Sodium 509.0 mg   Potassium 226.8 mg  
Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g   Dietary Fiber 1.6 g   Sugars 3.1 g   Protein 10.4 g   Makes 4 servings


No comments:

Post a Comment