Monday, January 20, 2014

Slow Cooker Brown Sugar and Garlic Chicken

Menu planning and meal prepping usually looks like this.  It's Sunday morning, I'm in my PJs or workout clothes, sitting at the island in the kitchen, sipping on tea or Shakeology while the Acoustic Sunrise plays through the speakers.  Mark and Abby are typically involved, too--usually being silly about breakfast.  I've got my recipe binder out and the iPad.  Guess which one wins?  Damn you Pinterest!!

Yesterday, as I scrolled (after momentarily being distracted by pictures of dresses I love but will never wear and shoes that are way too funky for me) through some recipes, I saw the picture of this one and pinned it before I even read any further.  Then I read the name of the deliciousness pictured and it was all I could do to not start making it immediately.  You probably want to eat this post, don't you?  Oh come on...I'm not the only one with that issue, am I?  Hello?

Factor in that the high temperature for most of this week will not climb out of the teens, and this comfort food seemed like a must have on our menu.  I love the idea of crock potting, but ours doesn't have a timer on it (silly!) and we're usually gone longer than the recipe needs to cook.  Thankfully, Mark'll be working at home one day this week, so guess what's on the menu.  BONUS---I will walk into a DELICIOUS-smelling house after a long, cold day of running around for work.  Score! 



Slow Cooker Brown Sugar & Garlic Chicken
adapted 
from Six Sisters' Stuff


Ingredients4-6 chicken breasts
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup cider vinegar 

1/4 cup lemon-lime soda
1-2 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 Tablespoons water

Red pepper flakes (optional) 

Directions:

  • Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
  • Place chicken (frozen, thawed or fresh) inside slow cooker (LOVE that you can add them frozen--how many of us forget to thaw chicken?  And don't try to tell me you don't!). 
  • Mix together brown sugar, vinegar, soda, garlic, soy sauce, and pepper together. Pour over chicken. 
  • Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. 
  • Take chicken pieces out of slow cooker (they'll likely fall apart) and pour remaining sauce into saucepan. 
  • Place saucepan over high heat. Mix together corn starch and water, pour into saucepan, and mix well. 
  • Let sauce come to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken and turns into a glaze. 
  • Remove from heat and let sit for a minute or two (it will continue to thicken as it cools down).
  • Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top if desired.  
I plan to serve this with brown rice and veggies.  I suspect it'd be good with whole wheat noodles or with a baked potato on the side.  Heck, it's probably good on top of the potato too!  

6 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for snow days - this is currently in my slow cooker. Can't wait for it to be finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jmaragni---what did you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SSOOO good! It was requested again from my roommate. I'm actually eating it again for lunch right now and I'm so excited :)

    Do you happen to know the nutrition facts? I'm starting weight watchers today and was just curious so I could count it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooooooooooh, that's so exciting. I do believe I have them; let me check. I can email them to you...shoot me your email address. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slow Cooker Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken Nutrition Facts Serving Size 1 Recipe total Servings 6
    Calories 215 Total Fat 2.39 g Saturated Fat 0.75g Monosaturated Fat 1.07g Polysaturated Fat 0.56g Total Carbohydrate 41 g Fiber 0.2 g Sugar 36.7 g Protein 6.7 g <="" td=""> Cholesterol 17.92 mg Calcium 44 mg Iron 0.72 mg Potassium 140 mg Sodium 366 mg Zinc 0.3 mg Thiamin 0.03 mg Riboflavin 0.04 mg Niacin 3.08 mg Vitamin B6 0.21 mg Vitamin C 0.9 mg Vitamin B12 0.1 Ug Vitamin A 26 IU Vitamin E 0.06 mg Vitamin K 0.1 Ug Points 4 <="" td=""> Points Plus 6 <="" td=""> *The nutritional values are determined by the total ingredients divided by the number of servings for each recipe. Serving sizes may vary. The formula used here for points was obtained from public sources and is an empirical match to Weight Watchers calculators, but it is not an "official" Weight Watcher's calculator.

    ReplyDelete