Sunday, January 26, 2014

Culinary Motivation

I really don't want to be that person who complains about the cold.  I mean, it is winter after all. And I do live outside of Pittsburgh.  So this is not exactly breaking news.  It is, however, record-breaking in that these temperatures haven't been seen in quite some time...when the HIGH is a whopping 3 degrees, it's a topic of conversation (and consternation).  And it's a prolonged cold snap, too.  So it's got folks feeling kinda cabin-fevery.  With good reason.  It's almost too cold to even go out and enjoy the snow.  Sled riding is great and all, until your face is completely raw after a mere 3 minutes outside.  

Outside.  The word alone sends chills up my spine at this point.  I'm glad I'm inside, cozy and warm.  I've got one sleeping, one working, so I'm taking that quiet time to "visit" with you here on my blog.  Whoever, wherever you are!

Today, I had a burst of culinary motivation.  In addition to making my normal weekly meal plan, I set aside some time to make dinner for my cousin and his wife who welcomed their second baby late last week.  My go to "you just had a baby" meal has been, for years, Chicken Tetrazzini and muffins (blueberry if you have a boy, strawberry if you have a girl---awe!!).  I don't know why I went that route, but I did--and it's stuck.  

This time, I'm adding a little something extra to the care package.  Thanks to my dear friend, The Pioneer Woman (what?  we're totally friends in my mind...we hang out, have coffee or whatever and talk about food and our families.  She's funny and kind and very generous!), we're tucking in some of her yummy Cookie Spreads for the happy (albeit likely exhausted) family unit.

Considering that I'm giving all of that goodness away, I simply had to make something for my very own family unit.  So, I made a delicious pot of Mushroom Barley soup.  I've only had the recipe, ripped from whatever magazine, for years.  For whatever reason, today is the day that it leaped from the pages and became a meal.  We'll enjoy that for dinner this evening---the perfect thing to cozy up to as we unwind the weekend and gear up for the week ahead.  Our house smells really, really good.  


Here's how that one comes together:
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:

Ingredients

1 cup barley
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil2 medium yellow onions, diced
kosher salt and black pepper
1 large carrot, diced2 celery stalks, diced
20 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (8 sprigs)
sliced sourdough or other country bread, toasted (optional)

Directions

In a medium-size pan, bring the barley and 4 cups of water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, 30 to 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook until the onions have softened, 5 to 7 minutes.


Add the carrot and celery and cook, covered, for 6 minutes more.


Add the mushrooms, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, covered, until they release their juices, about 4 minutes.

 
Add the broth, bay leaves, and thyme and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
 
Stir in the cooked barley; remove and discard the bay leaves. If desired, season with additional salt and pepper and serve with the sourdough toast.By , November, 2005

Once again, The Pantry Gremlins helped out and we had nearly everything on hand.  I used up some carrots and celery that were sorta on their way out the door which was great.  And, as I stated earlier, the house smells so, so, so good.  I love thyme---oh, the irony.

Speaking of time (that is what we call a bad segue)...while I still have some, how about I share one more recipe with you.  The muffins--no.  I cheat and use a boxed mix.  But the chicken tetrazzini...that's a good one to pass along.  My Godmother gave it to me several years ago.  And as I'm typing this, I'm realizing that I've never made it for our family; always made it and given it away.  Huh.  Better change that and fast!

Start with 2 whole chicken breasts, 1 chopped onion, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper.
Cover the chicken with water, add onion and herbs, then cook until tender. 

I use grilled chicken and/or rotisserie chicken here--saves time and, I find the taste is much better!
Once the chicken is ready, cut it into bite-sized chunks and set it aside.

In another pan, with a pat of butter, saute a chopped onion and 8 ounces of fresh, sliced mushrooms.  After about 5 minutes, add the chicken and cook a little longer, adding a little salt and pepper (go easy on the salt, because you'll be adding Parmesan later and that's a fairly salty cheese).  A lot of people add some cooked green peas at this point, but I'm a purest...I say leave the peas out.  But you do what you want.


While all this is happening, cook a 1/2 pound of pasta.  I used bow ties b/c they're a little easier to stab with a fork---remember, this particular dish is headed to a family juggling an almost 5 year old and a newborn.  Ain't NO ONE havin' time to twirl spaghetti. 

When the pasta is cooked and drained, toss the meat, 'shrooms etc. into the pot. 

In a measuring cup, mix 1.5 cups of milk, a tablespoon of mayo (I use the olive oil version) and, 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese a flour paste (2Tbs flour mixed with 1/2 cup of cold water).  Whisk this all together and pour it into the pot.


Mix thoroughly and pour into a 9x13 and top with a little more cheese and some chopped rosemary.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  If it seems a little dry, add a touch more milk prior to baking.

Alright, it's time go clean up the kitchen from the first wave of messiness and get things ready to whip up some of The Pioneer Woman's "Cookie Spreads."  Abby made me promise that we'd make these together when she wakes up.  Stay tuned for a full report on how these turn out--something tells me we'll be doubling the recipe so that we can have some leftover to enjoy.  

Sending love, best wishes and lots of hugs to the newest member of our extended family, Joseph David.  We are all so glad that you're here, so happy you're healthy and so eager to meet you.  Though you are tiny, the love you have is great.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment