Monday, January 27, 2014

But I Don't Want to Be a Survivor

As I have likely mentioned before, I am a FT Director of Development for the American Heart Association.  I have the incredible fortune of being able to meet some fascinating people with really inspiring stories.  I'm honored that these folks I meet share their stories with me, and humbled when they turn the tables and thank me.  Thank me?  Gets me every single time. 

I'm never quite sure how or when I'll encounter a person with a story to share.  The first time I heard Becky's name was when I learned that she had won a monthly contest we were running for participants who had personalized their fundraising web page.  Lots of people who walk in our Heart Walk have a personal connection; not everyone shares it, but many do.  And Becky did.



Her story was simply stated, powerful in its directness and so easy to relate to.  She's a Mom.  She lost a Grandparent to heart disease.  She wants to be a role model for her kids--heck, she wants to be here for her kids, period.  She was unique in that she wasn't all that unique at all.  I mean, she could be anyone of us, really. 

But Becky wasn't all talk and story-telling.  Becky was action.  Becky was get up and do.  Becky was making changes.  Working with a Registered Dietitian and incorporating a sound exercise program, this amazing full-time, working Mom of two found made the time to make herself and her health a priority.  She lost over 100 pounds and ran her first half marathon!  She turned limitations into motivations and setbacks into comebacks.  She took her fears and her worries and burned them as fuel to change the way she lived her life.


I was thrilled to receive a nomination for Becky for our Lifestyle Change Award and honored to hang backstage with her two little kiddos while she was presented with her award in front of 10,000+ at the Walk this past October.  She vowed to stay--and get more--involved with Heart as a way to pay it forward to others.

Over lunch today, we met to discuss what that might look like.  And that's where this whole idea of "I don't want to be a survivor" came from.  At first blush, it sounds crazy.  But in her eyes, Becky saw the word survivor as someone who had been through an event.  She wants to get to people before they suffer any kind of cardiac/vascular event.  She doesn't want to have to survive something to inspire someone.  And she doesn't want others to have to survive something either--let's get to them FIRST!  It's not enough to wring your hands when discussing Uncle Walter's latest heart episode or Mom's sketchy check up and say that you got a wake up call---you've got to take action. 

Did you know that 80% of cardiovascular disease is preventable with moderate lifestyle modifications?  Did you know that most Americans think they're healthier than they actually are?  Did you know that almost 17% of children ages 2-19 and 35% of adults over 20 are obese?  Did you know that this generation of kids is the first in history to have a shorter life expectancy than their parents? 


I'm proud of the work that we do on a daily basis to combat obesity, educate people about health risks and encourage behavioral changes.  We're making a marked difference, and for that, I am grateful.  I'm even more grateful for partners like Becky who stand with us, shoulder to shoulder and commit to being part of the change. 

If you'd like to learn more, I invite you to visit www.heart.org.  You can also take My Life Check, a free and confidential assessment designed to help you identify your overall health as it relates to 7 key factors.  In minutes, you'll receive your personalized score and a road map to improving it.  Check it out here.








No comments:

Post a Comment