Monday, August 25, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Chicken and Pesto with Peas

Okay, so I'll admit it...now that I know that I CAN make spaghetti squash, I'm getting kind of cocky with it.  Trying new stuff, forcing it on my family, convincing myself it's pasta (well...)

So when I saw this yummy version, it went straight from PIN to PAN.  And hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.  Darn it...typing this is making me hungry for it again.  No, really.  

Spaghetti Squash Chicken and Pesto with Peas

What You'll Need:

1/2 large spaghetti squash (I used a whole smaller one and)
16 oz. cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken was a time saver here!)
2 cups cooked peas*

What You'll Do:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
Cut spaghetti squash in half length wise. 
Scoop out seeds and spray with cooking spray and season with salt.** 
Roast for about 45 minutes until the flesh is completely tender. 
Scrape out spaghetti squash with a fork.

Basil Pesto (adapted from the Food Network)

2 cups basil
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

In a food processor, process basil, garlic, and pine nuts.  Add olive oil then Parmesan cheese.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Combine spaghetti squash, chicken, pesto, and peas over medium heat on the stove top. 

Serves 2-3

*Rather than peas, I subbed in some grape tomatoes, sliced in half and used (gasp!) jarred pesto sauce. 
**
I skipped--okay, forgot--this step and it was fine!

 We served it with a generous tossed salad and it was deeeeeeeeeeeelish!  It was even really good the next day; I reheated it and devoured it in a rare moment to myself.  Cheers to all of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment