Friday, August 8, 2014

Chipotle Shrimp Tacos

For a girl who says she doesn't really like Mexican food, I sure do find myself making a fair number of Meican-ish meals.  Huh.  Wonder what that means?  No, I really don't wonder...who cares.  I'm going to make what I like, and (hopefully) like what I make!

Case in point...these yummy little things.  I had some shrimp in the freezer, and in a moment of inspired thinking, I decided to (gasp!) use them rather than let them hide in there and give us the old "There's no food in here" excuse.  I'm all about using what's on hand right now...and that may or may not result in some pretty funky menus.  Thank goodness I have a pretty funky audience, so it works out.

Anyway...I stumbled across this recipe on Pinterest (yes, another round of pinning while hungry--I swear, if you look at the one board, you will think all I do is eat.  Truth is, there are a good handful of recipes I pinned while hungry that I've never made.  Honest!) and decided to give it a go. 
 

Just a warning...There's a heat to these that creeps up on ya...that residual intensity that allows you to take 3 bites before you have the HOLY HELL THAT'S HOT moment.  Whooo!!  I like heat and all, but mercy...these packed a punch.







What You'll Need:

Chipotle Lime Creama*

  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
  • Kosher salt to taste
Chipotle Shrimp
  • ½ lb shrimp (I used peeled, de-veined shrimp)
  • 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 6 corn tortillas
  • finely shredded cabbage
  • avocado
  • lime
  • pico de gallo
What You'll Do:

For the Chipotle Lime Creama:
  • In a small bowl whisk together the sour cream, lime juice and chipotle chili powder. Season to taste with kosher salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the Shrimp:
  • Rub the shrimp with the spice mixture and let marinate for 30 minutes.
  • Add the vegetable oil to a large non-stick pan and bring it to medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook until just opaque, about 3 minutes.
  • Heat the tortillas** and add the shrimp, shredded cabbage and avocado. Squeeze the fresh lime over the top and serve with the pico de Gallo and chipotle Lime Creama.
 I bet these would be super fun eaten outdoors with an icy cold Dos Equis, but they were delicious in their own way---at the kitchen island with lime infused water.  Sooooo close (not really!).
*We didn't have sour cream on hand and the plain Greek yogurt I planned to use was well beyond its "good by" date, so I simply mashed the heck out of an avocado, added a dash of water and the rest of the seasonings to make the "creama."  Was it as creamy?  Heavens no, but it worked just fine.

**I channeled my inner Food Network chef and heated the tortillas by placing them directly on the stove burner.  Maybe 20-30 seconds on each side and they get the char marks/taste.  So good...




Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment