Monday, September 1, 2014

Very Veggie Skillet Casserole


It's no secret that I PWH...Pin While Hungry.  And it gets me in trouble.  I look at it like grocery shopping when I'm hungry; you know how deadly that is.  I thank the Lord above that I can't eat every pin, because I'd be well over 500 pounds if that was the case. 

So, in my digital grocery cart, I placed this yummy recipe.  And when we got home yesterday, I made it.  It was easy to throw together and perfectly filling yet lite.  Exactly the kind of meal I needed after traveling and not being sure if I was hungry, tired, thirsty....you know that feeling?

This new find earned a thumbs up and a mouthful-of-food "It's good, Amy!" from my husband.  You guessed it--it went in the "Make Again" pile!  Score!


 


Very Veggie Skillet Casserole


 


What You'll Do:

In a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground turkey, breaking it up with the back of a spoon, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. With a slotted spoon, transfer the turkey to a medium bowl.

  1. In the same skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes, or until the onion is softened. Add the squash, tomato, celery, and carrot. Cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
  2. Return the turkey and any juices to the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Stir in the rice, water, and bouillon granules. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Stir in the spinach, cover, and cook about 1 minute longer, or until the spinach is wilted.
 
Notes:
I omitted the salt, opting to toss a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese over the top of my serving.  And I also tossed in a good cup of cubed butternut squash---that takes a while to cook to soft, so I threw it in first and gave it a head start.  Also, rather than using bouillon, I simply cooked my rice in low sodium chicken broth.  
Found in Prevention magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment