Friday, July 26, 2013

What's In a Date?

Some dates hold a significance that we all know; December 25.  February 14.  October 31.  Some dates hold a significance that's unique to you; October 11 (my wedding anniversary), December 10 (my husband's birthday), July 21 (the day I became a Mommy!) and July 28 (my HALF birthday...what?!  Don't judge!!).        

And then there's August 6.  It's a pretty basic day.  No one I know celebrates a birthday on that day.  No one I know has an anniversary.  It's not a holiday.  Until now.

I've decided that I will celebrate August 6 as my own personal holiday.  August 6, 2013
marks one year since I started a Challenge Group.  I purchased TurboFire.  I bought Shakeology.  I begrudgingly took my pictures and wrote down my measurements.  I talked to my Coach.  I talked to my Coach again.  And again.  Hey, what can I say--I needed a little reassurance.

You can say it sounds cliche (it does, I know!), you can roll your eyes if you want to, but August 6 is the date that I look back on as "the date things changed for me in a significant way."  I guess that's kind of obvious--why else would I be writing about it if it wasn't significant!?

In any event....August 6, 2012 was the day I first pushed play.  It's the day I began my 90 day commitment to Turbo Fire, Shakeology, my group, my Coach, my family and myself.  It was the day I stopped talking about change and starting CHANGING!

I pushed through bad days, busy days, cranky days, hot days, I-don't-wanna-do-it days and I-don't-know-if-it's-working days.  I faithfully checked off the days on the calendar that came with my workout and relied on the occasional wake up call from my Coach (Opening my eyes and functioning at 5am doesn't always come easily!).  I made time each morning to whip up my Shakeology before Abby and I hit the road--the whirl of the blender making Abby clasp her hands over her ears and shout at me, "Mama, is it shake time?"--and checked into my Challenge Group on a daily basis, finding that by adding my voice to the mix, I was getting so much out of it.

The workouts got easier---or more to the point, I got better and stronger---and I found myself actually looking forward to them.  That time I spent in the basement kicking, punching, stretching, and sweating---that time became MY time.  Time to focus on my health, my peace of mind.  It was fantastic.  Through it all, my Coach and I checked in with one another to be sure I was on track.  Days checked became weeks of check marks and eventually, the entire calendar was filled...success!

I suppose that if I'm going to celebrate August 6, I might as well celebrate November 3 too.  November 3 was the 90 day mark and the day I "graduated" from my TurboFire Challenge Group.  This time around, taking my pictures and recording my measurements wasn't such a chore; I was proud of the changes and excited to share the results with my Coach---10 pounds and 11 inches GONE! 

As I approach August 6 2013,  I'm taking stock at how far I've come.  At this point, I've lost 16 pounds and 14 inches overall.  I've become a Coach and helped others through Challenge Groups of my own.  I've helped nearly 2 dozen people improve their health and I've gained another source of income. 

And then there's the fun things that aren't totally number-related---I've puchased shorts and I actually wear them!  I wore a bikini this year at the beach.  I eat breakfast every morning, now.  I have encouraged family members to drink Shakeology--and they're seeing benefits, too!  All in a year's time!   

While Hallmark might not make a card for this specific occasion, I'd like to think that, if they did, it'd feature a picture of a very happy girl and words like EMPOWERED and PROUD and INSPIRED and GRATEFUL.  Inside, there'd be a message about accomplishing goals, setting new ones and being brave enough to leave your comfort zone and reach for greatness.  And I'd like to think I'd send it to myself as a reminder.

And you know what?  I'll send one to you, too.  Because you can have your own date.  What date will you choose to be the one that you look back on as "the" date?  I had no reason to start on August 6; I wasn't waiting for a perfect date or a date that was somehow already significant.  I simply made the decision that I'd was ready.  Are you?  Let's push play!
    


 

No comments:

Post a Comment