Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Forward or Backward?

Depends on how you look at it, I suppose.  When you're anticipating a certain date, do you look ahead or do you look backwards?  If something is a week away, do you look back at a week ago?  I do this.  So, Christmas is 5 months away (I know, I know...sorry!).  To check my perspective, I look back and realize that 5 months ago it was February and we were freezing.  I don't really know what purpose this serves other than to look at it from a different point of view.  Or maybe I'm just a little 'off'...could be.  Really---it's possible!

Are you still with me, or have I lost you to memories of those crazy lady in a track suit commercials from Target and ideas on how to make the perfect tree skirt out of your children's old winter coats (yeah, I saw this on Pinterest once and scrolled right on past!).  

You know what, maybe it's alright if your mind is on holidays.  And here's why.  This week, we will flip the calendar to August (again, I know...and again, I'm sorry).  So three months from now, we'll be staring down the barrel of a loaded November (see parenthetical apology above--and by the way, if you're going to be mad at me for pointing it out, could you share a little anger with your favorite retailer that's already selling turkey yard signs and pilgrim door decor?  Thanks!).  Speaking from experience, I know how overwhelming that can be to have the holiday season bearing down on you.  And the thing of it is, it comes at us every year.  Like a grown up version of hide and seek, the holidays taunt us. "Ready or not, here we come."  And, as in the game, we can't really ever hide all that well---we are, inevitably, found!  Ready or not, right?  How about like it or not?

I choose like.  And I'd like to help you choose like as well.  This year, when November rolls around why not stare it down and let it know that you're in charge?  Becoming part of a 90 Day Challenge Group NOW will set you up for a successful run through the gauntlet that is mashed potatoes, holiday happy hours, Christmas cookies, hot cocoa by the vat and a dessert buffet to rival that of a cruise ship.

Last year, I began my journey on August 6.  I wrapped up on November 3.  And man was I stronger---not only physically (praise the Lord above I can do proper push ups!) but mentally.  I noticed changes, others noticed changes, and I realized how hard I had worked for those changes (10lbs and 11"?  Yeah..gone!).  Let me tell you something...when I thought about all that work, that huge slice of pumpkin pie with a mountain of whipped cream on top seemed far less appealing.  A sliver and a dollop would suffice.  The pile of mashed potatoes?  Smaller and less smothered.  I didn't feel like I was missing out---I felt, instead, determined to treat my body well and maintain the habits I'd worked so hard to develop.

If you're up for similar success and similar results, we should talk.  I'd be more than happy to share more of my experience and help you write your own.  The decision is yours--are you going to look forward to the changes you'd like to see or look backward at the choices you've made that you wish you hadn't?  How about we compromise; look ahead at what you'll do and, in 90 days, look back at this date as the one on which you started to change.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment