Sunday, June 2, 2013

Turkey Meatloaf

I am one of those people who thinks foods have seasons.  And not just produce.  Peaches are good in the summer, May is great for berries etc.  No, I'm talking about not really digging soup in July or Gin & Tonics in February.  And yes, I'm aware that a G&T is not a food.  So, in the summer, I choose grilled fish over a cozy bowl of chili.  I cheer for a delicious fruit bar and snub the idea of a warm apple cobbler.  You with me?

All this preamble is my way of explaining that I have no idea how or why I'm posting this recipe today.  It's nearly 80 degrees, it's humid (there is a nice breeze, though!) and it's June 2.  Yet, I came across this tattered piece of paper, complete with splatters of tomato sauce and the smell of onions.  I pulled it out and added it to our menu for the week...yes, the paper.  We're billy goats.

No, this!




Turkey Meatloaf with Mushrooms

2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Pinch red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
6 ounces crumbled blue cheese
2 pounds ground turkey
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 shallot, sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Saute until mushrooms are browned, about 5 to 6 minutes.

Stir in red pepper flakes and saute for 1 more minute. Add chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce, remove from heat and allow to cool.

In a large bowl, combine egg, panko, blue cheese, and mushroom mixture. Fold in turkey and combine. Don't over work or the meatloaf will be tough.

Shape into a long rectangular loaf (or two smaller ones to speed up the baking time a little) directly on a sheet tray. Spoon tomato sauce on top of the loaf and shingle sliced shallots down the top. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, and serve.  


You could go all out comfort (and not the healthiest) with some mashed potatoes, or you could serve this with a couple veggies.  It's a yummy, easy go to dinner.  The mushrooms keep it really moist and the blue cheese offers up just a hint of tang. 

It does take a while to bake, so I usually have this on the weekend or on a day when one of us is home early enough to pop it in the oven so we're not eating at 9:00 at night.  I've even eaten it cold the next day with a big salad or a side of steamed veggies.

Mother Nature likes to do goofy things like make it snow in late April or have it be 75 degrees in January.  So here's my nod to her.  I'll see you crazy weather and I'll raise you one "out of season" meal.  Watch out--I may just whip up a strawberry shortcake around Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment