Sunday, February 15, 2015

One Pot Wonder...for real?

Remember how I've often lamented about my dangerous "Pinning While Hungry" habit?  Well, I recently decided to purge some pins and, well, I found that I had pinned this one more than once (I will not confirm the exact number, but it was enough to make me think that Pinterest should invent a "Really, AGAIN?" feature.  But I digress....).  I could make fun of myself for pinning something multiple times, but I'll take it as a win that the pin was at least a healthy dinner and not an overly-indulgent dessert.  Points?  Anyone?  Guess not.  Anyway....I also had one that was really similar to this, so, of course, I HAD to put one  of them on the menu, right? 

This particular hit the table one night last week and it made plenty.  We still have some leftovers and I already took one serving to work for lunch.  Newsflash; it tastes just as good on day #2 as it did fresh from the skillet.  Annnnnnnnnnnnnd, it lived up to the multiple pin status.  Praise the food Gods.

It came together pretty quickly.  Yes, that's a recurring theme to a lot of my posts about food (and the fact that they're all about food these days) and I'm totally okay with that.  When I know I can get something yummy and healthy on the table quickly after a long day so I have more time for fun stuff, I'm all in.  Why not?


Orzo beef skillet recipe
Serves 4

What You'll Need:

  • 1 pound ground beef  (we used ground turkey to lean it out a bit more)
  • 1/2 a large yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juice
  • 1/2 cup chicken or beef broth  (we used chicken)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 8 ounces orzo
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4 cups chopped kale or baby spinach (went with fresh spinach that I roughly chopped)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

 

What You'll Do:

  • Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
  • Add beef and onions to the pan and cook until the beef is browned and the onions have softened.
  • Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
  • Add the tomatoes, broth, water, orzo and seasoning.
  • Mix everything together, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the orzo is fully cooked.
  • Stir in the chopped kale/spinach until wilted.
  • Top with the Parmesan cheese and serve.

    We all agreed that this was light, yet filling, and made for a pretty easy preparation and clean up.  So yes, it goes in the Make Again pile (along with several other versions of the same recipe...sigh!).

    Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment