Monday, April 28, 2014

Well, yeah..duh!

I love to read.  I do.  I always have.  I'm glad my parents instilled that in me from a young age.  Yet I don't always make the time for it like I should.  Reading, to me, feels like such a luxury.  There I am, curled up in a comfy chair with a blanket and maybe something to drink, leisurely flipping the pages of a book.  All the while, laundry whispers my name, the messy closets rattle hangers to get my attention and the scrapbook I've started and restarted countless times, shouts, "Finish me already" from it's perch in the guest room.  And there I sit, as if I have nothing else to do, nothing else that needs my attention.

However, one thing on my daily TO DO list is to read for at least 30 minutes.  And no, Real Simple, Cosmo and trashy beach books don't count!  Know what's super cool about that?  Not just that I can make that kind of time guilt-free, but I'm supposed to do that as part of my Coaching job.  Being told to read?  Yeah, I'm all over that!  'Cuse me world, I'm checking out for a bit because I gots some reading to do!

Right now I'm reading The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson.  LOVE!  And tonight, I opened it and randomly selected one of the many passages that I highlighted.  This book is full of "hand to forehead" moments!  They're not all earth-shatteringly novel concepts...like this one (hence the title of this entry!):  "It's never too late to start.  It's always too late to wait."


Huh.  Read it again.  It's never too late to start.  It's always too late to wait.  I bet there are a zillion ways you can apply this to your life.  What resonated most to me was the simple idea that it's never too late to start...never!  Let's say I start out my morning on the negative side of the street for some reason (hypothetical, because I'm always super chipper..haha!).  Cold shower, stain on the shirt I planned to wear, missing earring, lost car keys...whatever the reasons, it can be easy to throw in the towel and chalk the day up to a loss.  BUT, it's never too late to start.  So start over.  Who cares that your day started x hours ago.  Start it again.  With a better attitude.  With a renewed sense of determination.


It's never too late to start.  Are you a "I'll do it on Monday" kind of person?  How many Mondays have come and gone and you've "forgotten" to do whatever it is you promised yourself you'd do come Monday?  Or how about this phrase..."I'll get that project done when xyz falls into place."  Come on, admit it---you've said it a time or two.  I have.  And it makes me nuts.  Sure, sometimes there's a logical order to events, and A has to happen before B etc.  But sometimes, that's our fear/procrastination/avoidance talking.

So what are you putting off?  What have you thought about starting, but didn't actually start?  It's like the riddle...there are 5 frogs on a log.  One decides to jump off.  How many are left?  The answer--5.  Because deciding to jump and jumping are two different things!

We are capable of so much more than we give ourselves credit for.  We are.  We really are.  We need to believe it and then act on that belief.  So we fail here and there.  Congratulations...you're trying.  Show me someone who isn't failing and I'll show you someone who's not even in the game for heaven's sake!

Take my Challenge Groups.  I'm starting one today, as a matter of fact, and there are people in it who have been in more than one group.  Know what?  GREAT!  I say BRING IT ON!  I say THANK YOU for not giving up, for not backing down and for trying again.  Didn't reach your goals last go 'round?  Yeah.  It happens.  But it's never too late to start, and it's always too late to wait.  Will you reach them this time?  Time will tell, but I know you WON'T reach them if you sit around thinking about them. 

It's always too late to wait.  How many times have we heard thoughts like, "Tomorrow isn't promised" or "Procrastination doesn't pay."  Too many to count, I'm sure.

Don't wait to feel better.  Don't wait to live healthier.  I could get super melodramatic, but I'm not sure that really serves a purpose.  Life is short.  Life is precious.  Don't wait for the timing to be perfect--news flash, it never will be.  There's always going to be something.  Some obstacle, some hiccup along the way that takes you off your straight line between Points A and B.  It's called LIFE.  And it's not a dress rehearsal....so stop waiting.  Stop thinking.  Start acting. Let's not confuse this with being blindly impulsive or reckless.  But for the love of Pete, remember...It's never too late to start, and it's always too late to wait.  Well, yeah...duh!



 
If you'd like to join my Challenge Group, let me know.  I'm happy to help you with your health and wellness goals.  It's never too late to start, and it's always too late to wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment