Friday, December 6, 2013

Bundle UP...Hunker DOWN

Rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain, lumpy rain...whatever this stuff is falling from the sky, it sure has me thinking soup.  But thinking it won't MAKE it, so I'm going to toss this recipe up here and then get in the kitchen to throw a pot of it together.  
 
It's hearty, easy and perfect to eat out of a big mug.  Wrap yourself in a blanket, flip the channel to a guilty pleasure holiday movie (you know you see one with Jennie Garth and you stop...at least for a second!!) and enjoy!  The soup.  And the movie, I guess.

Thanks to my Mom for sharing.  She got it from her brother who got it from his boss.  And now you're getting it from me.  The recipe.  Not the soup itself.  That you'll have to make.  But it's easy, remember?  I'm making this now so tomorrow, when it's even uglier outside, all I have to do is ladle some out and heat it up.  Mmmmm!

Tortellini Soup

2 48oz cans of low sodium chicken broth
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 box frozen spinach
2 13 oz bags of frozen cheese tortellini
4 cloves of garlic (that was a little much for me, so I scaled it back and it was fine.  My Mom omitted it altogether and still, fine!)
1 medium yellow onion
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese

Dice the onion
Saute the garlic in olive oil
Add diced onion, spinach, tomatoes (undrained) and 2 cans of chicken broth
Bring to a boil, the reduce heat to low
Add tortellini, simmer 7-10 minutes until they start to float
Season to taste (beware that parm is pretty salty, so go easy on the white stuff!)
Serve with freshly grated cheese on top and maybe a piece of toasty, hearty wheat bread!



No comments:

Post a Comment