Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Save it in a Jar

Some days, you want to save in a jar, pull it out later and relive it.  Today has been one of those days so far.  Today marked Abby's graduation from preschool.  In the proverbial blink of an eye, the school year has come and gone, culminating in a festive picnic at a local park.  The skies were blue, the shine was bright, the food was yummy and the company was fantastic.  My parents were there, my in-laws came, too and Mark and I were among the many proud parents.

The brief ceremony consisted of each child being introduced to the pavilion filled with cameras---okay, mostly phones!---and presented with a beautiful photo album that chronicled their year.  The teachers shared some fun insights about each kiddo and then it was time for a blessing from Pastor and lunch.

Most parents will tell you that there are moments when they're not quite sure they're doing things the right way.  I'm no different.  I question choices, debate consequences and wonder about the future.  As I watched my daughter confidently walk around the park today, find classmates to play with and seek out her teachers for a heartfelt embrace, I knew--I knew!--that sending her to this school was the right choice.  I am proud of her and proud of myself and Mark for making a good decision.  This is a biggie, too.  It's not a "which shorts to wear today" kind of call; this is her education.  

As she was snuggling in for her nap, Abby let out a contended sigh and said, "Mama, I love my school.  Will I go there in the summer?"  Sort of sums it all up right there, doesn't it!?


Yeah, if I could save today in a jar, I would.  But time doesn't work that way; heaven knows we might wish it would.  Ironically, fourteen years ago today, I graduated from Elon.  I would have saved that day in a jar, too.  Today, it almost felt like I had.

Congratulations to my girl.  Here's to a future filled with possibilities.


  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment