Monday, October 5, 2015

Discontinued No More!

Sooooooooooo, raise your hand if you've fallen madly in love with something and it's been discontinued.  A favorite nail polish.  A particular style of jeans.  A perfume.  A COOKIE.  Now we're getting serious.  I could find a new shade of red-brown for my fall nails.  I could suck it up and go with "the other" jeans.  I could even switch up my fragrance if left alone to select it (I'm talking to you, perfume sprayer ladies!).  But a cookie?  No.  That's just not right.

A few years ago, we made the unfortunate discovery of a cookie at the bakery of our local Costco.  It seemed like an innocent fall-y purchase at the time.  Until we tried them.  This is where it gets unfortunate.  They were good.  Like, "I'm not sure I could overstate it" good.  And, as everyone knows, you buy in bulk (duh!) at Costco.  So we had about 92,883,748,787,438,243 or so of these things in a plastic clamshell package.  Until we got to the car.  Where that number was immediately cut.  In half.

They were chewy.  They were sweet.  They were spicy.  They had a tiny but of crunch thanks to the sugary crust.  They.  Were.  Amazing.

And then---they discontinued them.  If this was a video blog, here is where you'd hear and see the gasp, horror and total shock that crossed my face when I learned of this unspeakable misstep by the bakers that be.  Rude and thoughtless, I tell you.


Fast forward to present day where I am juuuuuuuuuuuuuust about over the slight and have preeeeeeeety much come to grips with the fact that they're not coming back.  Ever.  Sigh.

Galloping into my life like a knight in shining armor, however---Pinterest and its infinite bevy of options.  And this recipe from a blog called (and I adore its name) Gimme Some Oven.

I hope you'll enjoy these as much as we did.  Okay...as much as I did---I really didn't share very well.  Shame on me.

Imagine this cookie with a mug of Constant Comment tea, an afghan and a great book.  Oh the beauty of it all....happy baking, happy fall!


What You'll Need:

  • WILLPOWER!
  • 1.5 cups butter, softened
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 2 eggs
  • 4.5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. salt

What You'll Do:

Say a prayer that you don't eat them all at once.
 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar on medium speed for 1 minute until light and fluffy.  Add in the eggs and molasses, and beat on medium-low speed until combined. 

Gradually add in the dry ingredient mixture and beat until combined.

Roll the dough into small balls, about 1-inch in diameter.*

Fill a small bowl with sugar, and roll each ball in the sugar until it is completely coated. 

Place on cookie sheet at least 1 inch apart, and bake for about 8-10 minutes, until the cookies begin to slightly crack on top.  (They may crack more while cooling.)  

Remove from the oven and let cool for a minute or two. Then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
 
Serve immediately or store in a sealed container for up to 1 week. (a week?  are you nuts?  these bad boys go FAST!)





*I found that it was helpful to chill the dough a little before rolling it into balls.  Maybe 30 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment