Monday, September 7, 2015

Deconstructed (and better for you!) Chinese Takeout

Every now and again, I splurge on Chinese takeout.  I usually regret it about 12 bites in, but I can't help myself....and I keep eating.  It's a guilty pleasure and one that thankfully I do not indulge too often.  Last week, I felt the urge creeping up.  I wanted a warm bowl of steaming rice and perfectly seasoned (okay, totally over-salted!) shrimp and veggies.  But I found willpower....and this recipe.  We are planning on making it this week, so you'll have to stick around if you want to get the full report.  I know what you're thinking..."Does this one land in the famous Make Again pile or is it destined to be shredded like the cabbage it contains?"  Stay tuned to find out...

Here's the scoop...it's Egg Roll in a Bowl.  Nothing deep fried, no crispy outer shell (wait, I'm starting to feel like I'm going to miss that...wait, nope, it's gone!)....just the warm goodness of the inside, outside!


What You'll Need:
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 3-4 cloves minced garlic
  • 5 scallions chopped
  • 3 Tablespoons Low Sodium Soy
  • Pepper
  • 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
  • 1 bag coleslaw mix (not the premixed kind, just the already chopped cabbage and carrots)
  • 2 bags Success® Jasmine Rice
What You'll Do
  • Brown the pork with the garlic and scallions.
  • Add in the coleslaw mix, soy and brown sugar. Season with pepper.
  • Cook until the cabbage is cooked down and almost caramelized.
  • Boil your 2 bags Success® Jasmine Rice according to box directions.
  • Serve the pork mixture over the rice.
  • Top with crispy wontons or duck sauce if desired. 
 
We don't desire, so we'll probably serve it with fruit salad instead.  I'm pretty excited to give this one a whirl.  Who knows we may even find a lingering fortune cookie from a previous takeout order?!  


No comments:

Post a Comment