Sunday, June 14, 2015

Pasta 'n Shrimp FIX Style! Innnnnnnnnndeed!

I know I've not done a super fantastic (or even super. or even fantastic. or even fair, really) job of sharing my 21 Day Fix story.  And I will.  I should.  I mean, it's nothing earth shattering, except that it kind of is.  No, I didn't lose a gazillion pounds and no I'm not totally shredded.  But we'll get to that in another post.

What I can, and will, share now is a 21 Day Fix-approved recipe that went over really well.  With everyone in our house.  Even the babe had a taste--and gave it a drooly endorsement.  I did not disclose, upfront, that this was a meal from a "diet" partially because I really didn't see it that way and partially because I didn't want eye rolls.  


What I did want--and got-- was a positive response to this yummy dinner.  And THEN I hit 'em with the fact that it's on the plan.  Speechless.  And I did a victory lap around the kitchen.  That's when I got the eye rolls.

But whatever.  Alright, enough pretense.  Here's the deal!!





What You'll Do:1 cup of whole grain penne 2 yellow
6 large or jumbo shrimp, uncooked (fresh or thawed if frozen)  1 red
Mrs. Dash seasoning, pinch
1 teaspoon of coconut oil (or olive oil)  1 spoon
5 asparagus, chopped  0.5 green
Cherry tomatoes, halved  0.5 green*
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
Lemon juice
1 tablespoon of crumbled goat cheese  0.5 blue

What You'll Do:Remove the shells and/or tails from the shrimp and season with a large pinch of Mrs. Dash seasoning.
Cook the whole grain penne according to the package directions.

While the pasta is cooking…

Heat 1 teaspoon of coconut oil over a medium heat. Add the chopped asparagus. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add the halved tomatoes, minced garlic and red pepper flakes (optional) and sauté for 1 more minute.
Add the shrimp and a squirt of lemon juice. Cook for 2-3 minutes until shrimp is pink and fully cooked, flipping the shrimp over halfway through.

Drain the whole grain penne and add to the skillet.


Top with the crumbled goat cheese.


The warmth of the pasta and shrimp causes the goat cheese to get a little creamier and gives the impression of sauce without being super heavy.  Mmm.  My mouth is watering.  And Abby just walked in and saw the picture and said, "Mama, is that what we're having for dinner tonight?  Please, please, please?"  She was less than thrilled when I told her we weren't having this.  Tonight.  But guess what may have just earned a spot in the rotation for later in the week?  Yup!

You almost don't need a salad with this since there are so many veggies in there, but you certainly could throw one together if your heart desires.  And heaven knows we don't always get enough veggies.  So what the heck?  Go for it!

Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!  Be sure to let me know if there's something you'd like me to write about....I feel a couple guest blogger posts coming your way soon.  Stay tuned for that!
 

*Hubs isn't a huge fan of tomatoes, so we swapped in some roasted red peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment