Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Turkey Burger Bonus!

  • So here, I am.  This is me.  Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeasing back into blogging...I have to be honest, I've missed writing in a big way.  Oh, I have about 7 or 8 partially-written posts in various stages of completion, but they're not ready for prime time just yet.  Or maybe I'm not ready for them to be ready.  Or maybe this blog is hardly prime time...whatever, point is...I'm tapping a toe back in the water and throwing this post up.
     
    I suppose it could be because all thoughts seem to be revolving around food these days.  And good food.  Healthy food, food to fuel me and help me nourish the new, sweet life that I brought into the world last week.

    Thankfully, my husband is a great cook (and a totally willing one too!) who takes on more than his fair share of that duty.  Truly; it's so sweet to be able to focus on Alyssa and/or Abby and be summoned to the table, all set and waiting for us to enjoy a family dinner.  He's a keeper!

    And so is this recipe.  Often, I find turkey burgers to taste--and look--a bit anemic.  They're kind of gray, usually a little too dry...but these?  Nope...not the case.  I love these burgers AND the idea that they pack a healthy punch of zucchini as well.  
     
    My father-in-law grows a serious garden and never comes to visit this time of year without a massive pile of the delicious green veggie.  We almost can't eat them quickly enough.  Side note...the chillier than normal temperatures we've had this week has me TOTALLY craving my Great Aunt's Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread (which is really a cake, but if I call it bread, I feel a LITTLE less guilty eating a small slice with cream cheese smeared on it as breakfast!).  
     
    Anyway, here's the way dinner went down this evening.  
     
    •  1   package (about 1-1/4 pounds) ground turkey
    • 1   medium-size zucchini, trimmed and grated (about 1 cup)
    • 1   cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    • 1/2  teaspoon salt
    • 1/2  onion powder
    • 1/2  teaspoon dried basil
    • 1/4  teaspoon black pepper
     
    In a large bowl, combine turkey, zucchini, cheese, salt, onion powder, basil and pepper. Mix well and form into four flat patties, each about 5 inches.
    Place burgers on the hot grille; grilling about 6 minutes per side.  Toast rolls, if desired. Stack rolls with burgers, lettuce leaves and sliced tomato. Serve warm.
  •  
    Nutrition information
    Per Serving: cal. (kcal) 417, Fat, total (g) 19, chol. (mg) 112, sat. fat (g) 9, carb. (g) 25, fiber (g) 6, pro. (g) 40, sodium (mg) 803, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
     

No comments:

Post a Comment