Saturday, February 15, 2014

Dinner Says LOVE

I learned this recipe years ago...and can just about make it without even using the recipe.  And that's probably a good thing, because for whatever reason, this recipe gets lost more than any others.  I don't know why, I have no clue where it goes, and I for SURE don't know why this is the one that seems to disappear.  Worry not, I've got it here for you and you know what they say about putting something online?  Once it's up there, it's up there for good.
Taken by Abby
Speaking of "for good" I married Mark 10 years ago.  For good!  We're in it for life, best friends and a whole lotta happy.  Most of the time.  Hey, we're human, right?  There are days we're at each other's throats, there are days we both need a little space.  It's bound to happen.  And when it does, I know THREE little words that can solve just about any spat.  Nope, not "I was wrong" (women, we don't ever say that, do we!?) and not "You were right" (because that would surely bring down bolts of lightning onto our home!) but Inside Out Ravioli.
This is "that" meal.  It's the "I'm sorry" meal, the "Rough day?" meal, the "Let's celebrate" meal and sometimes it's the "No special reason but I need you to know how much I love you" meal.  Regardless of what meal this is, it always tastes the same--awesome, full of love and just plain perfect!
Here's how it's done:
  
While dinner bakes,the table waits!
What you'll need
1 lb. ground beef (can use turkey or chicken if you'd like)
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
1 tbsp. salad oil (I use olive oil)
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach
1 (16 oz.) mushroom spaghetti sauce (or any kind you prefer--even homemade!)
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1/2 tsp. salt (I usually skip this b/c I like to add a little Parmesan which is salty enough)
Dash of pepper
1 (7 oz.) pkg. medium shells, cooked (whole wheat, baby!)
4 oz. shredded low fat cheddar (I suppose you could use Mozzarella if you'd like)
1/2 c. bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 c. salad oil (again, olive oil)
What you'll do
Brown beef with onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of oil.
Cook and drain spinach, save the liquid and add water to equal one cup.
Stir the liquid, spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce and paste, salt, pepper into the meat mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Combine cooked pasta, cheese, bread crumbs, eggs and 1/4 cup salad oil with the spinach. Spread mixture into a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
Top with tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parm.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I serve this with a whopper of a tossed salad, sometimes garlic bread (every now and again, I indulge!) and a glass of wine...I'm telling you, all of the flavors taste infinitely better when combined this way.  And, truth telling time...this year, I totally at dinner (at our 'fancy' table!) in my jammies!  It was Friday night, cold as all get out and I was with the 2 people who love me (and I them!) more than words can say.  Besides, I'm pretty sure they liked my fleece pants with red and pink hearts all over them...or, at the very least, were too busy enjoying dinner to notice!  

Enjoy!  And tell me, what will this meal be for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment