Saturday, September 7, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Salad

Sometimes when I'm busying myself on Sunday prepping for the week, it feels like a lot of work.  And then on a day like today, I'm sooo glad I made the time to do it. 

This morning Abby and I headed out to her dance class and then to run some errands.  Being a good little Mommy, I packed a snack for Abby but forgot one for me.  Come on, I said good little Mommy, not perfect, not great.  I'll try again next time....

Anyway, our last stop of the whirlwind tour (during which I repeatedly told Abby, "We are on a mission here!") was the grocery store.  DEADLY!  Everything looked and smelled amazing.  I was tempted to grab something quick and easy, and then I realized I had quick and easy and healthy at home.  We bought only what we went in to buy, completed our mission and set out for home.

When we walked in, I sent Abby to take off her shoes and wash her hands while I got lunch ready.  Before her little hands were cleaned and dried, this was on the table!



Healthy Buffalo Chicken Salad 
1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek Yogurt 
1/2 cup Franks Red Hot Wings Buffalo sauce*
1 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper 
4 cups of cubed cooked chicken (about 1 rotisserie chicken) 
2 celery stalks, chopped 
1/2 cup cilantro, minced 
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
*I put in a little less, opting to add more if I wanted/needed to

Abby declared it too spicy, so she opted for a plain chicken breast, grapes and yogurt.  But I enjoyed the spicy, tangy yumminess of this salad on a couple of low sodium triscuit crackers.  Lemon water and some grapes along side it and I had a far better choice than any of the "quick and easy" I could have grabbed at the store.  And it was ready because I made time on Sunday to make it.  What a save--I'm telling you, this prep business really works.  Maybe I am great after all?  Nah....



No comments:

Post a Comment